[PD] How's Pd limited?

David Medine dmedine at ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 25 20:05:34 CET 2016

BTW, this is germane to some work that I have been doing and it just so
happens that I have a figure handy.

In the figure are the spectra for two oscillators frequency modulating
each other in a tight feedback loop. The first two were made with FM
oscillators adapted from Pd's FM example patch. The first spectrum was
recorded using block 64 and the second at block 1. The third was made
using a dynamical model (which is, incidentally, the principle behind
the [bob~] object) of two oscillators in an FM regime. This better
approximates 0 time delay. It should be clear how much distortion even 1
sample of delay in the loop causes in this particular situation.

Unfortunately, the answer for how to do this in Pd is 'write an extern'
-- hence [bob~]. So far there is no such thing as an unsampled,
real-time patching environment.