[PD] multi-language help patches

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 26 22:02:31 CET 2016

> M-L-Help files can be donetranslating each help file and saving it with a name like“metro-help-ES.pd” or “metro-help-FR.pd” then telling pd toadd the -ES or -XX to the english helpfile name.
That's not maintainable:1. Revisions to the demo part of the help patch would have to be applied
manually, to as many patches as there are languages.2. In almost all cases the translater has to mess around with the positioning
of objects to make sure that the comments don't overlap.3. Currently, Pd doesn't even give you a visual cue for the max width and
height of a comment object at a particular font size, so the translater can't even know whether the comments they are manually positioning will in fact collide on
someone else's system.4. Even if all the points above weren't an issue, the design becomes baked
in and isn't user-friendly for people who want to zoom in to make the text bigger.
I've notice this with the GUI port-- if you zoom in on a PDDP patch the help
text extends past the window dimensions, causing vertical scrollbars which are
the worst in terms of readability.  So now you have to manually resize the
window so that the zoomed text fits inside it.  Not bad for reading a single patch,
but try that 100 times esp. on one of those awful linux wm's that give you a
2x2 hotspot for resizing the window.

    On Friday, February 26, 2016 2:30 PM, Lucas Cordiviola <lucarda27 at hotmail.com> wrote:

 #yiv5077710351 #yiv5077710351 --.yiv5077710351hmmessage P{margin:0px;padding:0px;}#yiv5077710351 body.yiv5077710351hmmessage{font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;}#yiv5077710351 multi-language patch“comments” can be done without any modifications, simply usingmore area on the screen or in a sub patch.
Normally you providecomments in your native language and in english.

From: lucarda27 at hotmail.com
To: pd-list at lists.iem.at
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 18:46:59 +0000
Subject: Re: [PD] multi-language help patches

#yiv5077710351 #yiv5077710351 --.yiv5077710351ExternalClass .yiv5077710351ecxhmmessage P {padding:0px;}#yiv5077710351 .yiv5077710351ExternalClass body.yiv5077710351ecxhmmessage {font-size:12pt;font-family:Calibri;}#yiv5077710351 I think multi-languagepatch “comments” is more difficult than multi-language “Helpfiles”.
M-L-Help files can be donetranslating each help file and saving it with a name like“metro-help-ES.pd” or “metro-help-FR.pd” then telling pd toadd the -ES or -XX to the english helpfile name.
This is a lot of work, butcan/should be done by the community, I remember that something likethis has been done in Pd-extended menus with an onlineinfrastructure, everyone contributed with what was left to be done.
Of course this increases alot the size of the package, there should be something likedownloading only the extra language that you use and not all. Somefolder somewhere.
Just a sketch.

From: danomatika at gmail.com
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2016 10:59:21 -0700
To: pd-list at lists.iem.at

I'll implement any *clear* spec for multi-language help patches someone comes up
with with the following constraints:1. it separates design from content.2. in only requires documentation writers to care about content.3. it does not pigeonhole help patches into having a single, ugly design4. documentation writers will be guaranteed that whatever they write, it won't
overlap patch content.5. it is maintainable and scalable

Sounds like .html.
--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika