[PD] what's the deal with [utime] object?

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 09:55:32 CET 2016

I really wish Pd had a 32 bit integer data type for counters, and other
places where integers are appropriate.

This problem with single precision floats is my #1 gripe/ buzz-killer....

(but overall, I am very, very happy with Pd!)

e.g. I spent aa few hours with it, but was unable to master the onset inlet
of [tabread4~], and find the example to be highly contrived and hard to
understand.

The Perl programming language had a very amazing mechanism. There is only a
"scalar" datatype, which can be (depending on context), a character string,
a float, or an integer.

There was some real genius under the hood which did automatic conversions
when necessary, so the programmer didn't really have to worry about it. The
runtime (a hybrid compiler/interpreter) always would do the right thing.

Not sure if there are any lessons from Perl we can borrow, or if the
intelligence is to costly for real-time.

BH

On Saturday, February 27, 2016, s p <sebpiq at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I guessed the issue was with precision, but in that case why would
anyone want to use it?
> I was about to use [zexy/time], but [utime] would have been so much
simpler in my case ...

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at>
wrote:

>> On 02/27/2016 12:34 AM, s p wrote:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > I am trying to use [utime] to get an absolute date in seconds since
epoch.
>> > However, the number of seconds seems to be rounded, so I don't
understand
>> > how is it of any use!? For example, the following patch prints 0 ...
>> >

>> short answer: single precision floating point precision.
>>
>> depending on your use-case, you probably can use zexy's [date] and
>> [time] objects instead.
>>
>> gmdsar
>> IOhannes

> --