[PD] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: How to check if a patch is vanilla

Alessio Degani alessio.degani at ymail.com
Sun Feb 28 20:25:42 CET 2016

Hi Cyrille,

On 28/02/2016 14:14, cyrille henry wrote:

> this is certainly possible, if someone spend time working on this.
> but my concern is : why is this important?
>
> i mean : if you don't care about conservation or portability, just
> start pd loading a maximum of externals and use all of them.
>
> but if you do care about conservation or portability, then load pd
> with only a minimal set of externals, and "declare" the other only
> when you need them.

I do care of both. I've used to write my patch with pd-extended, that
eliminates the problem "from the root". In this way my patch will work
(almost) certainly with pd-extended across each platform and from now on.
But I've decided to abandon extended for all the reason that we all know :)
The problem, now, is:
- If I want to distribute my patch, it would be great to write down the
dependencies, for example in the README. And virtually, since I've used
to work with pd-extended, I've in some way "lost" the border within
vanilla objects and extended objects, so I've to manually check each
time (i.e.: hummm spigot~ is vanilla? NO, ok... let me check... oh ok...
is in the unathorized package -> each time for each object).
- I use different machines with different OS, etc... and sometimes I use
"fresh" pd vanilla installation. Ideally, I want to install only the
externals that I need. If I have a list of externals needed for my
patch, this process would be much more easy (few clicks with Deken)!

> So, my advice is :
> better than making a mess and try to fix it latter, it's easier to
> make things clean in the 1st time.

I totally agree with this! :)

Cheers

> cheers