[PD] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: How to check if a patch is vanilla

cyrille henry ch at chnry.net
Mon Feb 29 12:11:02 CET 2016

Le 28/02/2016 20:25, Alessio Degani via Pd-list a écrit :
> Hi Cyrille,
>
> On 28/02/2016 14:14, cyrille henry wrote:
>
>> this is certainly possible, if someone spend time working on this.
>> but my concern is : why is this important?
>>
>> i mean : if you don't care about conservation or portability, just start pd loading a maximum of externals and use all of them.
>>
>> but if you do care about conservation or portability, then load pd with only a minimal set of externals, and "declare" the other only when you need them.
>
> I do care of both. I've used to write my patch with pd-extended, that eliminates the problem "from the root".
pd-extended did not solve this problem: pd-extended create this problem!

  In this way my patch will work (almost) certainly with pd-extended across each platform and from now on.
> But I've decided to abandon extended for all the reason that we all know :)
> The problem, now, is:
> - If I want to distribute my patch, it would be great to write down the dependencies, for example in the README. And virtually, since I've used to work with pd-extended, I've in some way "lost" the border within vanilla objects and extended objects, so I've to manually check each time (i.e.: hummm spigot~ is vanilla? NO, ok... let me check... oh ok... is in the unathorized package -> each time for each object).
> - I use different machines with different OS, etc... and sometimes I use "fresh" pd vanilla installation. Ideally, I want to install only the externals that I need. If I have a list of externals needed for my patch, this process would be much more easy (few clicks with Deken)!

i think you should first reduce number of external you need : spigot~ can be certainly be replace with a *~...

you can replace lot's of externals using abstractions.
that's a lot of work, but your patchs will be lot's more portable.

cheers