[PD] How (Pd's) 'limitations' enhance creativity

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 04:28:23 CET 2016

​"Gate" is a metaphor, so it seems to me you just need another metaphor for
what's going on. The best one I've come up with so far is entirely
inappropriate for most cases, but gets the point across: instead of a
"gate," you might think of it as a safety on a firearm. You can load and
unload it all you want but as long as the safety is on it won't fire.​
Another one might be "sending supplies past the blockade." Or if you want
to keep the "gate" metaphor, it might be "tossing your knapsack over before
trying to get through." Or "meet me at the rendezvous; don't do anything
without me – if I don't make it past security with the goods, you'll have
to abandon the plan."

The other thing about this particular dataflow representation is that cold
inlets are themselves a kind of gate. That might make the end-run feel
better.

A third option you didn't mention would be using [value].