[PD] Mysterious bug with [text]

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Thu Mar 3 21:59:52 CET 2016

Dear list,

I have been experiencing mysterious bugs and crashes when using the [text] object. Most of the time it's working fine and I really enjoy the functionality. But sometimes the output of a certain operation is just wrong. And there have been several occasions where Pd would crash and close silently! Only once I got an error message in the Pd console and it said something about 'binbufs'.

The bad thing is: I can't reproduce any of these errors. Right now I'm using Pd 0.46-6 on Windows 7.

My first question: Have you experienced silent crashes of Pd when using the [text] object?

My second question: Could you quickly try out the attached patch and tell me what happens for you? You only have to press 6 bangs and watch the Pd console.

This has been bothering me for a long time. Many thanks in advance!

Christof

PS: My patch gives me different results all the time. After a system restart, the output after pressing 4 is usually '1' although '1 2 3' should have been replaced by 'symbol foo'...