[PD] Mysterious bug with [text]

Lucas Cordiviola lucarda27 at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 3 23:38:49 CET 2016

print: 1 2 3print: 1print: symbol foo
Pd 0.46.7win 8.1
No crashes.
of course the bug is that we have to press 2 times bang 3

From: christof.ressi at gmx.at
To: pd-list at lists.iem.at
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 21:59:52 +0100
Subject: [PD] Mysterious bug with [text]

Dear list,

I have been experiencing mysterious bugs and crashes when using the [text] object. Most of the time it's working fine and I really enjoy the functionality. But sometimes the output of a certain operation is just wrong. And there have been several occasions where Pd would crash and close silently! Only once I got an error message in the Pd console and it said something about 'binbufs'.

The bad thing is: I can't reproduce any of these errors. Right now I'm using Pd 0.46-6 on Windows 7.

My first question: Have you experienced silent crashes of Pd when using the [text] object?

My second question: Could you quickly try out the attached patch and tell me what happens for you? You only have to press 6 bangs and watch the Pd console.

This has been bothering me for a long time. Many thanks in advance!

Christof

PS: My patch gives me different results all the time. After a system restart, the output after pressing 4 is usually '1' although '1 2 3' should have been replaced by 'symbol foo'...