[PD] pd-extended keeps losing track of extras

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Wed Mar 9 17:09:28 CET 2016

>> On 2016-03-08 12:05, oli_kester wrote:
>>> I'm using pd-extended 0.43.4
>>
>> ...sigh...¹ ¹
>> http://lists.puredata.info/search?P=Pd-extended&DEFAULTOP=and&G=pd-list&SORT=0
>

> Not sure what this is supposed to articulate - do you mean to say
> that the extras are no longer supported,
and I shouldn't expect them to work properly? Explain please :)

just sharing my personal experience here:

when i picked up PD again a few weeks ago, i first was excited about the
PD-extended distribution. However, as the puredata.info site says, this
project is unmaintained and considered outdated.

i too experienced the difficulties your described with PD-extended, and
after reading through the list, i got the overall impression, that
PD-extended should be avoided in general.

i don't know the exact historical or technical reasons, but i decided to
listen to the PD guru's advice. my actual setup consists of the latest
PD-vanilla and whatever externals i REALLY need. since ZEXY and IEMLIB
is maintained by the IEM people (who are probably the strongest and
longest serving backbone in the PD department) i figure they are pretty
save to use even for future PD releases.

that said, as a matter of fact i do use compiled .dlls from the last
windows PD-extended version, always specifiying search paths in the PD
startup script. as long as they work ... good, but i'm aware that this
is not rock solid and i try to use them as little as possible and rather
patch my own abstractions for specific needs with vanilla objects.

just my 2c

best

oliver