[PD] Does PD find you a job?

Daniel Iglesia daniel.iglesia at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 23:26:48 CET 2016

In my limited experience and opinion:

Pd _by itself_ does not lead to a lot of job opportunities. However, when
used as a tool in combination with other platforms to create
products/outcomes, it can be a very efficient way to create software that
has a live audio component (particularly due to the existence of libpd).
And examples of work are what is going to benefit your resume more than an
individual skill (which most people will not be familiar with).

For me, I was a freelance mobile developer for a few years. I benefitted
from Pd as a skill, as I was working on audio-oriented mobile apps. While
for some jobs I wrote native code for audio (in Objective-C or Java), in
others I used Pd to make the audio engines. It was of particular benefit,
since I could write the patch once, and then use it for both Android and
iOS (although I still had to write a native wrapper for each platform).

With the increased use of libpd as an embeddable audio engine for apps and
games, there may be increased demand. But to be hire-able, you'll want to
know the text-based languages that will be used as a wrapper for that
application, and be able to write that part of the software as well.

Your milage may vary.