[PD] Help Patches Layout

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 17 19:19:39 CET 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 12:26:07PM -0400, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> intuitiveness, aliens, whatever. Another consideration within the pd*
> ecosystem is that it is 0-centric, meaning things tend to start with $0
> (patch instance) before they get to $1. Then again, $1 refers to the first
> arg, so you could argue it may be inconsistent... etc. etc. etc.

I always assumed Pd to be rather 1-centric and not 0-centric: There
is no $0 for message boxes, and where abstraction arguments are concerned, $0
(patch instance) in use is really something entirely different from $1...$n
(arguments to an instance given by user).

Also many (most?) command line arguments like -audiodev refer to the first item
in a list with 1 instead of 0, leading to an interesting confustion when they
have meet with the 0-centric outside world like ALSA's device numbering.

So Pd in my view is more similar to Lua, where numbering generally starts at 1
(which actually works well, once you get used to it).

But in the end, it's

Ciao