[PD] Help Patches Layout

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 17 22:29:13 CET 2016

> I did not attack me so... Rename in there have some implication? If no, I will start to rename...
Please don't rename them.  Inlets and outlets are numbered starting from
zero, both in Pd's file format and in dynamic patching:

[connect 0 0 1 0(|[send this]
[namecanvas this]
This makes a connection from the left-most outlet of the first object created
to the left-most inlet of the second object created.  Both the object index and
xlet index start from zero.
Garrays are zero-indexed as well.
So changing the help patches won't make Pd any more consistent in this
regard.  In fact it would make it less consistent because you'd have two versions of the help patches in the wild.  (And messages to this list show that people are still downloading and using Pd-extended long after it's been abandoned.)
Short story-- I'm all for improving documentation, all for consistency, and all for making anything more accessible and friendly to users.  But these proposed
changes don't achieve those goals.
-Jonathan

    On Thursday, March 17, 2016 2:18 PM, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

 Hi,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 12:26:07PM -0400, Ivica Ico Bukvic wrote:
> intuitiveness, aliens, whatever. Another consideration within the pd*
> ecosystem is that it is 0-centric, meaning things tend to start with $0
> (patch instance) before they get to $1. Then again, $1 refers to the first
> arg, so you could argue it may be inconsistent... etc. etc. etc.

I always assumed Pd to be rather 1-centric and not 0-centric: There
is no $0 for message boxes, and where abstraction arguments are concerned, $0
(patch instance) in use is really something entirely different from $1...$n
(arguments to an instance given by user).

Also many (most?) command line arguments like -audiodev refer to the first item
in a list with 1 instead of 0, leading to an interesting confustion when they
have meet with the 0-centric outside world like ALSA's device numbering.

So Pd in my view is more similar to Lua, where numbering generally starts at 1
(which actually works well, once you get used to it).

But in the end, it's

Ciao
--
 Frank Barknecht                                    _ ______footils.org__