[PD] loading Gem under Windows msys2 build

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 22:57:10 CEST 2016

Just starting with the most obvious, Gem.dll can't find pd.dll.  Any clues?  pd.dll
is sitting there in the same directory as pd.exe and pd.com.
-Jonathan

    On Monday, April 4, 2016 4:23 PM, IOhannes m zmölnig <zmoelnig at iem.at> wrote:

 On 04/04/2016 06:47 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> However, when loading Gem I get errors like the following to stderr:
> dylib loading file 'gem_fileAVI.dll'!GemDylib failed: #126: The specified module could not be found.
>
> I also see this on the console:"please manually add 'blah/blah/blah/extra/gem' to your search path!
> gem_fileAVI.dll is in the same extra/Gem folder as Gem.dll.
> Shouldn't Windows search by default for library dependencies in the same
> directory as the library itself?

Gem is dlopen()ing (well LoadLibrary()ing) the plugins manually, so it
doesn't really matter where W32 is looking for them.

> Does "add manually" mean to add the search path

yes, this is what the message means.

afaict (googling for "LoadLibrary returns 126") the problem is that the
dependencies of gem_fileAVI.dll cannot be resolved.
use Dependency Walker or simile to find out what is missing.

also, i happily accept PRs for the Gem-wiki [1] detailing the process of
building Gem with msys2.

gfmstd
IOhannes

[1] https://github.com/umlaeute/Gem/wiki