[PD] objects with no alphanumerical names, how to build them?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 21:09:52 CEST 2016

On Die, 2016-04-05 at 15:32 -0300, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
>         On Windows, for instance, you can't have ? < > | : * \ / " in
>         filenames.
>

> I just confirmed you can't have those characters in a .dll file

Just to be clear, it's not about the dll file or the dll fileformat. The
restricting factor is the file system (and probably the operating
system).

> So, besides these characters in Windows, what are other forbiden ones
> in other operational systems we run pd on?

As I said, it depends rather on the file system than on the operating
system. Ext4, for instance, allows almost anything except / and \0
('null'). And the file names '.' '..' are restricted, too. '..pd_linux'
would theoretically work, but it would be a hidden file. I guess most
distros wouldn't allow to distribute a file with such a name.

> I have Mac Os and it seems only colon (:) is prohibited (as in
> windows), or dot (.) at the beginning of a file.

Also here, the hfs+ file system has that restriction, not necessarily OS
X (though OS X and hfs+ are likely congruent).

> How about Linux?

I guess most modern file systems have very few restrictions. However,
fat32 has certainly not less restrictions than ntfs (if not more) and it
can be mounted on Linux. And it is still widely used, on USB sticks or
whatsoever. It's not totally unreasonable to assume that someone runs Pd
from a fat32 formatted USB stick, thus it probably makes sense not to
assume a modern file system. I haven't tried, but I wouldn't be
surprised if a Debian system even works from a fat32 formatted USB
stick, simply because they restrict themselves to sane file names.

Some more details might be found here:
https://kb.acronis.com/content/39790

Roman