[PD] listing PD's external platforms

Liam Goodacre liamg_uw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 13:38:48 CEST 2016

There are a lot of platforms for running PD on the web, on tablets, or on something other than the native PD GUI (I lack the proper generic term here, so I'm going with "external platforms"). These days it feels like a new one pops up every few months. I can think of these off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are more:

LibPDDroid PartyRJDJMobMuPlatGemmalibHeavy Compilerweb-pd
Would someone be interested in compiling a comparison table for these platforms, or does such a list exist already? I'm picturing something like this:

NAME----DEVELOPER----OS COMPATIBILITY-----PD EXTERNALS------ACTIVE DEVELOPMENT---ETC

LibPD----Steve-------------Linux/Windows-----------Vanilla only-----------Yes
ETC------

(facts are all wrong here--I've included them just for illustration).

I think such a thing would be important because a: it would help new users find the right tools for their own projects and b: it would be a good way of promoting these wonderful products. I think there are already enough of them that we need such a comparison, and there are still likely to be more in the future.

I'm happy to help with this project, although I shouldn't be the one to lead it, as I'll only get it wrong. If anyone wants to take it up, please help me find a better term than "external platforms", as both of these words already have multiple meanings in PD.