[PD] Name conflicts "class overwritten; old one renamed 'x_aliased'

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 19:57:17 CEST 2016

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
wrote:

Hey buddy, I'm open... but I need more than things like:

> - Got a problem with externals? Do not use the externals then;
> - Yeah, you do have a problem and I don't have a solution, but other than
> that, the thing you are complaining about is nice.
> - I, personally, don't mind the issue, and I think that some workarounds
> are worth it
> - You might not agree it is nice now, and I'm not really trying to prove
> any point, but maybe if you give it 10 years you might change your mind
>
> I still do not see any advantage in object overwritting, and I see how it
> is causing name clashes.

I propose that the following two rules for naming Pd externeals will solve
all your problems:
1 The name MUST begin with a lowercase alphabetical ASCII character (a-z).
Subsequent characters may be lowercase ASCII, numbers (0-9) or underscore
(_). DSP objects MUST have a trailing tilde (~) character.
2. The name MUST be unique among Pd externals.

Martin