[PD] $0-abstraction question

James Dunn james at 4thharmonic.com
Fri Apr 8 19:09:28 CEST 2016

Quoth Johan Ericsson on 08/04/2016 15:36:
> Dear List,
>
> This is my first time writing here so please be gentle. :-)
> I'm working on a state saving system in vanilla for multiple instances of the same abstraction. I've got a good system up and running where I'm writing and reading to textfile using numerical creation arguments for the abstractions to separate the textfiles from each other. However, it would be a lot easier if the unique four digit $0 digits of the abstraction was saved with the .pd-file and not given a new number on re-booting the patch. There is probably a million scenarios where this behaviour would be not desired that I'm unaware of. But it would be nice to be able to skip giving the abstraction an argument on creation.
>
> All best / Johan

I normally create my abstraction with a numerical index, eg [abstraction
1], [abstraction 2] etc. Then I save the specific abstraction variables
in a file (or in the main patch) by sending a message like [1 float1
float2 float3( to the main patch where the first item in the list is the
abstraction number. You can then parse this data when you load the
abstractions, eg:

[route $1]

[unpack f f f]

Is this what you want?