[PD] debian build environment

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Apr 27 21:32:39 CEST 2016

On 04/27/2016 05:52 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> Also, I want to build normal, boring deb packages, not containers or anything like that.

TL;DR cannot help you much....

probably not exactly what you are looking for, but:
i (and many other people at Debian) use gbp-buildpackage for building
Debian packages (a frontend for pbuilder/schroot/...), which builds
packages in a clean environment (that gets bootstrapped from scratch for
each build).

apart from not interfering with the environment, this is also a good
test whether the assumed build environment is sane (since (official)
Debian packages are automatically build on a number of different
architectures, this is a reasonable request).

this is accomplished with quite some overhead (basically an entire
(minimal) system is re-installed for each build), and the way this is
done is slower than on CI-services like travis-ci.
otoh, the builds are done against a current Debian/unstable system
(which changes daily) rather than some aged ubuntu/precise image (which
hasn't changed in the last 4 years).

oh, and it just occured to me, that this requires sudo for each run :-(

so if you don't want to touch your precious baremetal environment, i'd
suggest to fire up a virtual machine for development (VirtualBox,
libvirt/KVM,...).
personally, i'm using this for development of both kernel modules (where
a bug usually requires a reboot, which is rather tiresome if it is the
machine you are actually doing the work on) and for development on
exotic OSs (BSD, Hurd, W32, OSY).

as for normal development targetted at Debian, i haven't experienced any
problems so far with installing all that stuff on my day-to-day working
environment (hey, i'm a dev; having those things available is part of my
work): true, the development machine needs to install a lot of
dev-packages which are unneeded on the deployment system, but those
dev-packages mainly consist of headers...

gmfadsr
IOhannes