[PD] debian build environment

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 28 18:59:41 CEST 2016

> i wonder why you don't trust it.
Experience.  Things can break, or get in a weird state.  When they do it can
be a real pain to fix.
If I had to guess, I'd say the problem is that a) apt can't do transactional
upgrades/rollbacks, b) the dependency tree for Pd-l2ork/Pd-extended is
rather large, and c) it takes a bit of time to download/install that rather large
dependency tree.
I don't _need_ to be able to build on random machines.  But setting up the
build process to facilitate that actually lowers the cost (in human time) of
building the software.
Anyway, it sounds like the virtual machine approach is still the best approach for
GNU/Linux distros.

 On 2016-04-28 02:31, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> But I don't
> trust apt enough to configure and uninstall the build environment on an
> arbitrary machine.

i wonder why you don't trust it.

Debian uses a a number of (automated) tests to ensure well-behavedness
of packages, including their complete uninstallability.
checkout out [piuparts].

in any case, i'm not sure i understand the actual reasoning behind the
request: it seems that you want to be able to easily build pd-l2ork on a
number of different machines (where you only have limited access).
may i ask why?
the question seems to boil down to: why can't you build the deb on
*your* machine (a dedicated development machine) and deploy the package
on all the other machines? after all, we are talking about apt, not
emerge...

if this is mainly about building for different architectures, you might
want to have a look at [qemubuilder].

alternatively, you might want to think about getting Pd-l2ork into
Debian proper. (that however would most likely mean that this package
would need to use the externals already packaged for Debian (and build
for pd-vanilla) instead of shipping your own copy; if you are still
interested, contact me off-list)

fgmasdr
IOhannes

[piuparts] https://piuparts.debian.org/