[PD] A_DEFSYM/A_SYMBOL A_DEFFLOAT/A_FLOAT differences?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 2 07:49:34 CEST 2016

On 05/02/2016 02:30 AM, Derek Kwan wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> What are the differences between A_DEFSYM and A_SYMBOL and also
> A_DEFFLOAT and A_FLOAT?

they fallback to default values if no value is present.
e.g. the [float] object has a single A_DEFFLOAT argument.
if you forget to provide it, [float] will use a default value of 0
instead (you cannot change the default value).
otoh, zexy's [repack] object used a single A_FLOAT argument (iirc). if
you forgot to provide it, Pd's object instantiation mechanism would
complain about "Bad arguments for message 'repack' to object
'objectmaker'" and refuse to create the object.

> In my situation, I'm updating an object that used to take A_DEFSYM as a
> first argt and A_FLOAT as a second argt,

which does't make sense.
since you require the 2nd argument, you obviously always need a
firstargument to be present. it should therefore be (A_SYMBOL, A_FLOAT),
(A_DFSYMBOL, A_DEFFLOAT) or (A_SYMBOL, A_DEFFLOAT).

 but I want to take a variable
> number of arguments now so I'm just replacing those with A_GIMME in

which is usually the sanest way to have default values of your own
liking (e.g. non-null and non-'')

> class_new (and then passing t_symbol *s, int argc, t_atom *argv instead
> of t_symbol *s, t_floatarg f into the class's _new). Then I'm
> type-checking each argt of the t_atom by A_SYMBOL and A_FLOAT and
> getting their contents with atom_getsymbolarg and atom_getfloatarg
> respectively. However, things seem not to work the same... It could be
> other bugs I've introduced but could this be also due to going from A_DEFSYM
> to A_SYMBOL (and perhaps the same for float)? If so, is there a way to
> typecast to the DEF versions?

there is no need. the callbacks will always be called with real floats
resp. symbols. the bug is somewhere else.

gfmadsr
IOhannes