[PD] Preferred/best practice for loading external objects

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Thu May 5 20:32:46 CEST 2016

On 05/04/2016 11:53 PM, Miller Puckette wrote:
> I believe it should be just the one.  But I'm a scope conservative
> (despite the contradictory evidence that Pd has, in fact, no scoping
> mechanism :)

hmm, so:
for your people at UCSD you would like to have externals installed into
~/pd/extra and ~/pd-0.46-4/extra and ~/pd-0.22/extra depending on which
version of Pd you are running.
for yourself, you would like to have externals NOT be installed into
~/pd/extra.

since these two behaviours are contradictory and cannot be resolved
automatically, the only option is to ask the user every single time they
are going to install a library via deken, at the potential cost ofthem
shouting "but i told you this directory already three times this
morning" at their computers.

fdmsar
IOhannes