[PD] [OT] choice of sound cards for 16 output channels

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Fri May 6 14:08:26 CEST 2016

The Motu is $1000. The Presonus is $500. What about getting 8x 2-channel
USB soundcards? The Griffin iMic is a 2x2 and is $40. So 8x would be $320.

If you look around, you can find 2ch USB audio adapters for $20/each,
$10/each, even $2/each. For that kind of money you could purchase a few and
evaluate them in terms of quality, or maybe read up on what chip they use
and read reviews.

I'm pretty sure Pd supports multiple audio adapters, but have not tested
this.

Please post your results, as I would like to get into ambisonics as well
and be able to drive 8x or more speakers. But I don't want to spend $1000!

On Thursday, May 5, 2016, Jack <jack at rybn.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> With the following configuration :
> Ubuntu 16.04
> Pd-0.47.0
>
> I need to find a solution to send sounds on 16 different speakers.
> What is your advice regarding the purchase of USB sound cards under
> Linux with this configuration ? For you, which sound cards are more
> willing to do this job ?
>
> Ciao.
> ++
>
> Jack