[PD] Can you close source of Pd patches (for commercial development)?

Charles Z Henry czhenry at gmail.com
Sat May 7 19:51:43 CEST 2016

Yes!  Of course!  One of the economic benefits of open-source software is
that it can reduce development costs.  Every good engineer should know this.

DO pay attention to licensing details.  You do have an obligation to the
license holders and your customers.  This is what makes the playing field
level for companies using open source software in products.

> On May 7, 2016, at 12:08 PM, Pagano, Patrick <pat at digitalworlds.ufl.edu>
wrote:

>> So like you'd use like years and years and years of open source
development for like your own personal gain?

>> Patrick Pagano B.S, M.F.A
>> Interactive Media & Education
>> +1352.226.2016
>> https://patrickrpagano.wordpress.com/
>>

>> On May 7, 2016, at 11:47 AM, Matti Viljamaa <mviljamaa at kapsi.fi> wrote:
>>
>>> I’ve been thinking about the feasibility of leveraging Pd as a
development platform for commercial patches. Sort of like some (e.g.
Twisted Tools) are using Reaktor for developing commercial-grade plug-ins.
>>> But instead of Reaktor I could rather use Pd, because it’s a more open
platform.

>>> But if the development is for commercial purposes, there would need to
be some sort of mechanism for closing the source. Is this possible or
something worth looking at?