[PD] What is the current, correct way to use Open Sound Control with PD?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun May 8 07:55:45 CEST 2016

On Sun, 2016-05-08 at 01:14 -0300, Paul Keyes wrote:
> I need to use OSC. I had been using mrpeach in pd-extended, but I see
> that pd-extended is no longer recommended, and it won't compile for my
> system anyway  (I'm using unbuntu 14.04 on an Udoo), so I have
> pd-0-46-7 installed.
> I downloaded pd-osc from my package repo, but there is no hint about
> where udpsend is supposed to come from. There is no pd-mrpeach from my
> repo either, so I'm currently trying to get the version
> from https://svn.code.sf.net/p/pure-data/svn/trunk/externals/mrpeach/net/ working without much success. It compiles but I still get "udpsend ..couldn't create".
> What is the correct way to get udpsend? Or is there another way to do
> OSC?

You can do that all now with Pd-vanilla. Check the help fies for
[oscformat], [oscparse], [netsend] (in your case probably [netsend -b
-u]) and [netreceive].

Also, there is pd-iemnet, which is a fork of mrpeach's net classes. I
consider them more mature and more reliable than the original mrpeach
net classes.

Roman