[PD] Dynamic search paths and [declare] behavior in Pd.0.47

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun May 8 12:00:02 CEST 2016

On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 12:09:04AM +0000, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list wrote:
> Hi Jerome,If you're saying that your patches used to work and they now break,
> do file a bug about it.  Others on the list have mentioned using
> [declare] for this purpose-- I never have but it's a reasonable use case.

Using [declare] in abstractions has never been an encouraged practice,
The 0.41 helpfile includes this warning:

'WARNING: you might want to avoid putting "declare"
statements inside abstractions, as their effects will extend
to the calling patch. As of version 0.41, "declare path" is
ignored inside abstractions, although, probably unwisely,
"-stdpath" takes effect (on the calling patch as well as the
abstraction.)'

So basically [declare] only was "allowed" in a toplevel patch.

I think it is was wise, that the confusing side effect of
[declare] "extending to the calling patch" was removed.

Ciao