[PD] [OT] choice of sound cards for 16 output channels

Winfried Ritsch ritsch at iem.at
Sun May 8 13:40:28 CEST 2016

a sync hack I did once, ( since fons sync plugin is cpu-heavy for small arm
computers):  open case and solder out one quartz (oscillator) of one and make
a cable to the second boards quartz, so they are in sync and combine them
under alsa.

Since audio quality is not the best if powering over ComputerUSB, another
hack: cut the USB power and make a filtered 5V one or add additional filters.
but this is a hack... not a standard solution.

 mfg
 winfried

Am Freitag, 6. Mai 2016, 10:27:29 schrieb Miller Puckette:
> On caveat: you probably can't sync these together, so you will occasionally
> get an audio error on output as Pd 'resyncs' them.  There are various
> ways of working around this.  Maybe the best way in your particular
> situation is to have two copies of Pd and use netsend/receive to sync them
> at message level.  If you do this in short segments (< 10 minutes or so)
> the time slippage shouldn't exceed what you get anyhow because of speaker
> placement.
>
> cheers
> Miller
>
> On Fri, May 06, 2016 at 05:07:06PM +0200, Peter Venus wrote:
> > well,
> > if it should be on the cheap side,
> > and the need for usb because of a lacking pcmcia/expresscard is present,
> > there there are
> > logilink ua0099 available, which are offering 8ch output
> > for 23euros
> > i bought some here:
> > http://www.pollin.de/shop/dt/MDUyODcyOTk-/Computer_Informationstechnik/USB
> > _Technik/USB_Konverter/7_1_Kanal_USB_2_0_Soundbox_LogiLink_UA0099.html
> >

> > cheers,
> > peter
> >
> > On 2016-05-06 14:54, patrice colet wrote:
> > > If it's just about having 16 channels DAC, using two C-media CM6206
> > >
> > >soundcards should be enough but you might need direct input boxes if the
> > >amplifiers are not just beside the computer, I tried this chipset and it
> > >works good on a pcduino2 and Pd with 8 channels, no glitches, it should
> > >works as well on a Raspberry Pi 3.  So it's possible to cluster the
> > >soundcard+pi on a network and have as much channels as you need.

- ao.Univ.Prof. DI Winfried Ritsch
- ritsch at iem.at - http://iem.at/ritsch
- Institut of Elektronic Music and Acoustics
- University of Music and Dramatic Art Graz
- Tel. ++43-316-389-3510 (3170) Fax ++43-316-389-3171