[PD] Preferred/best practice for loading external objects

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon May 9 03:32:35 CEST 2016

Hi,

On 08/05/16 11:12, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Me, when I shout a thte computer, it's more likely to be "where the *&$^%&
> did you put the file I just downloaded?" or "why the $%*& did you just do
> that" as opposed to "why did you just ask me to confirm this operation that
> will put files on my disk".  But I know my own tastes aren't shared by all
> users...

While we are shouting, it seems people (including you) are annoyed about
"~/pd-externals" all up in their home directory. I wonder if it would
make sense to deprecate that in favour of standard config paths on all
platforms?

Blender does this well already and follows existing desktop standards. I
think it would be a good model to copy:

Linux = $HOME/.config/blender/2.77/

Mac OSX = /Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.77/

MS-Windows = C:\Documents and Settings\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender
Foundation\Blender\2.77\

https://www.blender.org/manual/getting_started/installing_blender/directorylayout.html

For Pd you probably wouldn't need the version number thing. Or maybe you
would?

Once again I am sorry that this is an email and not a pull-request!

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/