[PD] Preferred/best practice for loading external objects

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 9 10:27:32 CEST 2016

On 2016-05-09 03:32, Chris McCormick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/05/16 11:12, Miller Puckette wrote:
>> Me, when I shout a thte computer, it's more likely to be "where the
>> *&$^%&
>> did you put the file I just downloaded?" or "why the $%*& did you just do
>> that" as opposed to "why did you just ask me to confirm this operation
>> that
>> will put files on my disk".  But I know my own tastes aren't shared by
>> all
>> users...
>
> While we are shouting, it seems people (including you) are annoyed about
> "~/pd-externals" all up in their home directory. I wonder if it would
> make sense to deprecate that in favour of standard config paths on all
> platforms?
>
> Blender does this well already and follows existing desktop standards. I
> think it would be a good model to copy:
>
> Linux = $HOME/.config/blender/2.77/
>
> Mac OSX = /Users/$USER/Library/Application Support/Blender/2.77/
>
> MS-Windows = C:\Documents and Settings\$USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Blender
> Foundation\Blender\2.77\

i was always under the impression that the W32 and OSX search paths were
pretty OK, so i'm not sure whether action is needed on that side (but of
course i am on linux mostly)

i guess this impression mainly comes from the question of how easy it is
to hide/ignore that folder, even if I did install something to it.
e.g. on w32, the "%AppData%" path is there already in most cases, and it
is in a place that i (as the user) don't usually open, so it doesn't get
in my way.

so the main problem is on linux, where "pd-externals" show up in my
*home* directory, a place that everybody finds themselves looking at all
the time.

so i'm all for moving to ~/.local/lib/pd/extra/
(and/or ~/.local/lib/pd/0.47-3/extra/ if somebody thinks this is useful)

the relevant specs can be found at [1]

gfdmasr
IOhannes

PS: i don't think that ~/.config/ is the right place to put externals
to, regardless of what blender does (again, see [1])

[1]
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html