[PD] Preferred/best practice for loading external objects

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue May 17 09:59:22 CEST 2016

Hi all,

On 17/05/2016 04:14, Miller Puckette wrote:
> OK... so what I hope I just did is to make Pd search in this order:
>
> ~/.local/lib/pd/extra/
> ~/pd-externals
> /usr/local/lib/pd-externals
>
> ... in that order.  We can consider ~/pd-externals to be obsolete.

I know the discussion in mostly about externals, but personally I also
have a bunch of home-made abstractions (and a couple of gui plugins) I
always like to have in my Pd search path and ~/pd-externals/ is nice
because:
a) it's "portable" when I back-up my home directory
b) it's (mostly) independent of Pd versions...

But, because this is a specific use case for my set-up/machine I think
in principle it would make sense to:
a) Add my local use-case path to my pd config
b) That pd-config would live in somewhere like $HOME/.config/pd

Also, I know this is probably nit-picking, but shouldn't configuration
and (local) externals be in two different paths?

Lorenzo.