[PD] Preferred/best practice for loading external objects

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue May 17 14:53:20 CEST 2016

On 17/05/2016 10:46, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
> On 2016-05-17 09:59, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
>>> ~/.local/lib/pd/extra/
>>> ~/pd-externals
>>> /usr/local/lib/pd-externals
>>>
>>> ... in that order.  We can consider ~/pd-externals to be obsolete.
>>
>> I know the discussion in mostly about externals, but personally I also
>> have a bunch of home-made abstractions (and a couple of gui plugins) I
>> always like to have in my Pd search path and ~/pd-externals/ is nice
>> because:
>> a) it's "portable" when I back-up my home directory
>> b) it's (mostly) independent of Pd versions...
>>
>> But, because this is a specific use case for my set-up/machine
>
> hmm,
>
> 0) how does your setup break with the new behavious?
>
> and to answer you r specific questions:

Actually they weren't questions... just considerations :)

> a) ~/.local/lib/pd/extra is in your home directory as well, so how is it
> less *portable*?
> b) i don't see anything version specific in the new behaviour.

Yes that's perfectly fine-

> i can only see two possible issues:
> a) you only backup "visible" folders in your home-directory, so you
> would miss ~/.local/lib/pd/extra

Not an issue for me. I use (g)rsync annd I do filter out a several
'dot-dirs' but not systematically (i.e. they are explicitly listed in a
file which is used by rsync as an ignore list)

> the easiest fix for this is to just remove ~/pd-externals entirely from
> the built-in search paths and add a BIG UPGRADING NOTE that mentions the
> symlinks (and/or "adding -path").

Yes, I mean eventually it's just a matter of knowing it. After all one
can customise the Pd search path and have is serch in ~/pd-myminipony if
it works for them :)