[PD] bang~ and long-running calculations

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed May 18 19:48:40 CEST 2016

Hi list,Has anyone ever used [bang~] as an engine to break up long-running control calculations?
For example, suppose I analyze the incoming signal and choose the most suitable among 10,000 melodies to play in response.
If I search in logical time I'll probably get a dropout.  However, if I rewrite the patch to use [bang~] and [5,000(--[until] to do the same calculation, I cut the number of calculations per block in half.  As I test the patch I can keep halving that number until I no longer get dropouts.  If the resulting time to finish all the calculations is a suitable delay for my melodic response, I'm good.  More importantly, I'm deterministically good, as the calculation is guaranteed to complete in the allotted time.  (Although I am of course not guaranteed that the audio won't drop out.)
Seems clunky, but maybe it's useful for some situations...
-Jonathan