[PD] help compiling vanilla on mac

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed May 18 23:31:13 CEST 2016

On 05/18/2016 09:09 PM, Dan Wilcox wrote:
> Right, and what I mean by “you’ll be out of luck” is that you currently cannot build on OSX using the git master from Miller’s site.

please don't spread fud.
obviously someone was able to build on OSX using the git master, since
there are binaries available on miller's site.

> You need to use my branch which has the last month’s worth of improvements. After some testing all around (hopefully), then we’ll look at merging that into the master branch upstream.

so the problem really is, that OSX El Capitan has deprecated some
functions currently used by PortAudio (thus creating a warning whenever
such a function is used) and the compilation process treats warnings as
errors (thus failing on the use of deprecated functions).

you have three choices to fix this:
- pledge your OS-vendor to not deprecate half of their API with each new
release
- downgrade your build-system to pre El-Capitan
- tell your build-system to not bail out on errors.

something like the following should work (though i haven't tested it):

   ./configure CFLAGS="-Wno-deprecated -Wno-error"
   make

apart from that, i think that your branch of autotools improvements is
just great (and it *does* fix the problem in question, by adding these
flags to the build by default)

gmasdr
IOhannes