[PD] Pduino sysex vs. OSC advice

Rick Snow ricksnow at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 16:29:16 CEST 2016

Hello list!

I am looking for some advice on sending messages from PD to an Arduino
sketch.  Essentially, I plan to connect a mac to an Arduino via USB and
control a large amount of variables within the Arduino sketch from PD.

Is using the sysex message with the [arduino] object message the way to go
with this?  How can I "tag" the messages so that they go to the correct
variable in the arduino sketch?  Is there a practical limit to the speed of
such a system?

I am much more familiar with using OSC messaging between applications but
when I looked into using OSC with Arduino it seemed like I needed to use an
ethernet shield (instead of connect via usb) and I would rather not go that
route unless absolutely necessary.

Any advice is much appreciated!

cheers,
Rick