[PD] deken install user experience

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 19:36:01 CEST 2016

Before the discussion on deken installing libraries for you goes super far, we talked about this curing Chris’ initial deken development and, regarding, auto-magically downloading dependencies:

1. Pd developer time is currently limited (Chris & IOhannes were basically spitballing at that point), so the focus instead was put more on getting the basics working, especially in binary lib upload, search, & install.

2. Auto-magic dependency was put into the “nice to have, but possibly a lot of work to get right” pile as opposed to “must have" pile. If it turns out to be trivial, then by all means someone can propose some code and we can try it out (deken has it’s own GitHub repo after all).

3. There is no easy way around the pd-extended kitchen sink -> pd vanilla barebones + libs transition, [declare] is the preferred way forward in that regard. At least I thought that was agreed upon...

IMO the much bigger issue right now is that we don’t have full coverage of built external deken packages for all the main extended libraries for all platforms yet. If we (I am!) are worried about priority with limited resources, I feel this is much more important right now. We need a big push of people essentially updating these main libs to the pd-lib-builder makefile and then coordinating people on various platforms to build said libs and upload deken packages. The makefile can do that as a makefile target, so it’s relatively easy. After all, how can deken suggest a lib to install when there aren’t that many libs in deken to being with?

One of the great things about deken is that it helps decentralize the kitchen sink. Now, we need everyone to grab a utensil and start scrubbing :)

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>