[PD] deken W32 unzip test

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jun 10 19:32:12 CEST 2016

On 06/10/2016 06:03 PM, rolfm at dds.nl wrote:
> IOhannes wrote
>
>>> On 2016-06-09 10:33, Roman Haefeli wrote:
>>>
>>>   Just to chime in about unzipping-in-Windows aspect, from what I can
>>>    tell that would smoothen the Deken experience for Windows users _a
>>>    lot_.
>

>> well, test it
>> https://github.com/pure-data/deken/tree/w32-unzip
>
> how to test?

ok, so here it goes:

- download the deken-plugin from the link above or directly from
  https://github.com/pure-data/deken/blob/w32-unzip/deken-plugin.tcl

- follow the instructions on the page to install the plugin:
> and save it to your Pd folder:
>
>    Linux = ~/pd-externals/deken-plugin/
>    OSX = ~/Library/Pd/deken-plugin/
>    Windows = %AppData%\Pd\deken-plugin\

- (re)start Pd

- go to "Help -> Find externals"
  (the dekenexploder should be slightly different than the one shipped
with Pd: e.g. it has the "Set install dir" button in the lower right corner)

- search for an arbitrary external, e.g. "comport"

- click on a result that is a zip-file (e.g.
"comport-v0.0extended-(Windows-i386-32)-externals.zip")

- deken should download and unzip that file (without firing up th
W32-explorer and asking you to manually unzip the file)

probably it is best to try this with a (smallish) external you haven't
installed yet e.g. "arraysize".

> it's possible to download deken-W32-unzip.zip,
> but to me it's not clear what to do next.
> two things i tried:
> with the unzipped folder as it is at the location where deken-plugin
> used to be,
> and rename the folder to deken.
>
> no automatic unzipping.

i guess the crucial part is to make sure that the updated deken-plugin
is indeed used.
one hint is the "set install dir" button mentioned above.
another one can be viewed by setting the verbosity of the Pd-console to
"all". it then should contain something like:
> [deken]: installed version [0.1] < 0.2.0...overwriting!
> deken-plugin.tcl (Pd externals search) in ... loaded.

i hope this helps.

gfmasrd
IOhannes