[PD] Font size issues

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:58:12 CEST 2016

Hey all

Since I upgraded an Ubuntu box to 16.04 and a Debian box to Jessie,
patches are displayed with object|message|symbol boxes one-pixel-per-
character wider than before.  Any patch design that is aligned tightly
is screwed up, especially those that use symbol boxes within GOPs:
they're not even shown anymore. Most of my patches use a font size of
10, btw. I don't know, if and how other font sizes are affected.

It seems the change is induced by some change in the environment rather
than some change in Pd. I was already using 0.47 before the system
upgrade and I didn't notice any change in fonts between 0.46 and 0.47.

I have some personal interest in this being tackled and I would gladly
help, if there is something I can do, but this seems like a complicated
problem that even knowledgeable people seem having difficulties with.
Since the usual suspects like   "font_metrics" in pd-gui.tcl and
"sys_fontlist" in s_main.c seem haven't changed since the system
upgrade, other factors seem to have an influence, too. What might those
be? I'm willing to invest some time into this, but motivation is
naturally bigger when I start to make some slight sense out of things.

Roman