[PD] [PD-dev] problem with PA and Jack on OS X

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jun 14 14:58:15 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-14 12:57, Marco Matteo Markidis wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Sunday I had a gig in Poland. After connect all cables, mixer and sound
> card I started my Pd patch without problems. When I switched on the DSP Pd
> frozen and I didn't understand really what happens. After a while, I
> started the system monitor and I saw that in calling PA it stops with an
> error. I tried to start also Pd with Jack and in this case Jack didn't
> start properly giving me an visible error message.
> So I rebooted and magically PA starts.
>
> I'm sending you this email just to say that can be a good idea in this case
> to report an error message very visible on Pd parent or something like
> this, in order to understand that it is a PA error and probably an error to
> access to sound card or something like this.
>
> I'm sorry to cannot report a complete log message, but I remember that Pd
> stops at pa_send_dacs function in s_audio_pa.c file. I hope you can
> understand that in a real live situation with Wayne Horvitz waiting that
> you finish your soundcheck it's not a proper occasion to get log message
> file and stuff like this.

it seems like you are using the "PA" acronym for different things.
Pd has a PortAudio backend (s_audio_pa.c), but afaik this does not
involve any service/daemon/programm which could be refered to with "and
magically PA starts".

there is PulseAudio on linux, which can be used via the PortAudio
backend, but afaiu you are on osx so i don't think that this applies.

> Best regards and sorry if this mail can be off topic.

i don't think it is off-topic, but probably more interesting for pd-list
(rather than pd-dev), as it is no more development-specific than any
other bug and more people could share there experiences.

therefore i'm answering via pd-list...

fgasmdr
IOhannes