[PD] [PD-dev] problem with PA and Jack on OS X

Marco Matteo Markidis mm.markidis at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 16:08:08 CEST 2016

> so what was the error message?

I start Jack from JackPilot on OS X, and Jack fails to start, not Pd fails
to connect to Jack.

> so when using Pd with jackd:
> - start jackd (e.g. using qjackctl)
> - then start Pd

Yes I did it properly.

> it seems like you are using the "PA" acronym for different things.
> Pd has a PortAudio backend (s_audio_pa.c), but afaik this does not
> involve any service/daemon/programm which could be refered to with "and
> magically PA starts".

Mmm no. With PA I mean PortAudio exclusively. When I started Pd it froze
and looking at system monitor it stops at pa_send_dacs at some cerror
function call (maybe some pthread init, but I not remember properly).
Just to be clear: I started Pd with -pa flag but when I switch on the DSP
Pd froze and on system monitor I saw that Pd was locked at some error.
With Jack, Jack didn't start directly.

So, what I'm saying is that can be an idea put a red Pd error con parent
window in order that the user can understand that it is a PA error and not
a Pd error.

My solution was to reboot and everything worked properly, in this sense "PA
magically starts".

Marco