[PD] biquad and karplus-strong

Peter P. peterparker at fastmail.com
Wed Jun 15 10:09:14 CEST 2016

Hi Alexandre,

* Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com> [2016-06-14 20:29]:
[...]
I see you use fexpr~ to derive binary noise from a [noise~]. I might not
be correct but I suppose that binary noise has a similar, if not the
same, spectrum as re [noise~], so it could be left out to save some CPU
cycles. Otherwise just multiplying [noise~] by a high factor [*~ 1e+36]
and clipping it at [clip~ -1 1] might be a cheaper way to do it.

Orm's implementation of the random phase might also be cheaper than your
two fexpr~ for that part. You might not have to be conservative with CPU
usage in your case at all however.

> I use fexpr~ for the mean filter, but I had also used sometimes biquad~ in
> the same way as you suggested. I think biquad~ should work with a block of
> 1, if not it is buggy! You can easily test it though.
It does work and might save cpu compared to fexpr~.

> Note you can use other filters instead of the mean average filter. That was
> chosen back in the day for convenience, we have more options now, lop~
> would be a nice one by the way.
Thank you! Indeed one can throw all sorts of filters in there. In my
case I am trying a textbook implementation for now.

Thank you for your kind reply!
Peter