[PD] Morse Code Translator / Decoder

Derek Kwan derek.x.kwan at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 14:07:11 CEST 2016

I suppose I haven't fully investigated the details of morse code quite
yet (btw, I've come up with my own pd transcription patch that I can
share that uses the [text] objects that Patrice mentioned, but before it
comes to that it needs a lot of tweaking...).

I suppose I've been fascinated with how the worlds of communcations
technology and music are so intertwined. Stretching the idea of
technology a bit, rudimental drumming, something every percussionist
learns going through school, has its roots in military (at least back to
civil war days, if not earlier) and communicating orders to troops (and
I suppose in a superficial way it's related to morse code in how it
uses more-or-less codified rhythms to communicate information). The
first public wireless radio broadcasts (AM I think) were done by Lee
de Forest at the beginning of the 20th C and it was of live Metropolitan
Opera concerts. Of course AM (and FM) would later find roles in
synthesis techniques for computer music. Jumping way ahead, the Internet
has drastically changed the way music is accessed and shared and how it
proliferates (not to mention who is able to participate in music
creation and sharing). And the technologies that have sprung up around
it have opened up new avenues of muscial expression. I've helped out in
concerts where live performers play alongside other live performers from
the other side of the country (of course not possible without Internet
technology). Open-source music proejcts and the communities around them
such as this community and Pure Data thrive because the Internet allow
the software to be easily distributed and allow the community to
organize and contribute. And web standards such as Web Audio API and
backend tech such as Node.js have allowed for new ways of interacting
with music, I've used them myself in concerts to trigger sounds on
people's phones. And of course the big field of DSP covers everything
from the the techniques we use in computer music to how cell phones work.

Anyways, I'm not too familiar with the design of the Morse code but I'll
be sure to at least read down the relevant bits of the Wikipedia page
and/or any other resources you might suggest =).

Derek