[PD] Granular Synthesis External

James Bullock Jamie.Bullock at bcu.ac.uk
Thu Jul 7 20:06:20 CEST 2016

Hi Ali,

I think it’s important to distinguish the *type* of granular synthesis being implemented, e.g. synchronous or asynchronous (there are others too), as they sound and function differently.

For synchronous granular synthesis, I always liked syncgrain (https://github.com/pd-l2ork/pd/tree/master/externals/footils/syncgrain)

I should also point out that you don’t need externals to do good granular synthesis in Pd. For asynchronous synthesis, see Particlechamber by Derek Holzer https://puredata.info/downloads/particlechamber For a synchronous approach, see [polygrainsynth] by Phil Stone http://www.pkstonemusic.com/polygrainsynth.html which is excellent but requires a couple of externals to run.

best,

Jamie