[PD] Recent PD/Gem on Windows

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Sat Jul 9 11:26:34 CEST 2016

me.grimm wrote:
> Yeah the error I got with Pd 0.47.1/ Gem 0.93.3 is:
>
> "filmQT: Could not initialize quicktime: error -209"
>
> I DID install Quicktime and error went away but again, Quicktime on
> Windows is now depreciated so in the future....?

yes, it's encouraged to drop it from windows machines for security reasons.

my workaround for this:

since all of my MAX/PD/VVVV videos are encoded with the "photojpeg" or
"mjpeg" codec (as these proved to be having the best size/performance
ratio and they work best when frames are directly called - i.e. a video
has to be synched with sound) you can easily just switch the container
by renaming a file "xxx.mov" to "xxx.avi"

perhaps you might need to install "ffdshow" for windows to make it work,
i didn't check. other than that, AVI files with "mjpeg" codec play fine
with GEM.

(my setup ATM is Pd 0.46.7 / Gem 0.93.3)

best

oliver