[PD] a multislider GUI as abstraction

Raphaël Ilias phae.ilias at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:50:59 CEST 2016

Hello dear pd-freaks,

I come back on this thread not to reanimate the subjective debate about
abstractions vs. externals... ;-)  but to provide for those interested an
updated and less dependent version of [ph_msl] that is, for those who
didn't read earlier, an abstraction-based multislider GUI.

Please see "ph_msh-help.pd" in attached .zip for more info.

You now only need 3 libraries to try it. It's functional for me with
pd-0.46-7 & pd-0.47-1 and deken's libraries : iemlib / iemguts / iemgui
I'd be happy to have remarks on it, if some may find it useful enough to
use and care have it maintained standard (a few features could be added
like receive/send-symbols)
...and to know if you find that it's worthy to share this kind of
abstraction or if it's useless regarding pd's future development (like the
all GUI of pd may change soon and become something javascript...) or still
"too fragile" hacks/way of doing thing.

It is still "a big patch" and relies on unavoidable externals (all come
from iem) mostly to perform dynamic-patching, state-saving and user events
capture :

[iemguts/canvasargs]
[iemguts/propertybang]
[iemgui/iem_event]
[iemlib/dollarg]

That's still 3 libraries and 4 externals

Moreover, for the sake of avoiding redundant code, this abstraction is
provided with 8 homemade abstractions,
- 6 about color-format conversion :
   ph_iem2rgb
   ph_iem2web
   ph_rgb2iem
   ph_rgb2web
   ph_web2iem
   ph_web2rgb
- 1 control facility :
   ph_skip
- and 1 GUI abstraction for picking colors and to avoid dependency on
[hcs/colorpanel] :
   ph_g.colorpicker

Hope I am not the only one interested in this.. even though I firstly made
it for my personal use.

all best,

Raphaël