[PD] MIDI and opensoundcontrol: type m for OSC ?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 21:56:13 CEST 2016

On Mon, 2016-07-11 at 15:32 +0200, Winfried Ritsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> 1) Had anyone experience with or used the tag type "m" for
> transmitting MIDI
> over OSC ?
>
> from http://opensoundcontrol.org/spec-1_0 :
>
> " m 4 byte MIDI message. Bytes from MSB to LSB are: port id, status
> byte,
> data1, data2"
>
> 2) Is there a defined protocol for MIDI over OSC ?
>
> 3) How to implement this in Pd ?
>  since there are no 'm' typetags defined for [oscformat] and
> [packOSC]
>

> I ask, because someone want to send MIDI over OSC to my Robot-
> Pianoplayer
> driven by Pd and I do not know if this is used by other software this
> way, if
> it is "worth" to implement.

I can see how it might make sense to use OSC as a proxy protocol
between MIDI devices. Other than that, I don't see the point of
restricting oneself to MIDI while using OSC.

Although [packOSC] and [oscformat] do not directly support the m tag,
you could still cook your own format using 'b' (blob) type and four
bytes. And if you really need it to be proper 'm', you could still
write it as an abstraction (as long as it supports only one tag, it
should be fairly simple with [list tosymbol] and some [list append]s
and [list prepend]s).

Roman