[PD] Recent PD/Gem on Windows

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jul 11 23:26:06 CEST 2016

On 07/08/2016 05:56 PM, me.grimm wrote:
> Yeah the error I got with Pd 0.47.1/ Gem 0.93.3 is:
>
> "filmQT: Could not initialize quicktime: error -209"
>
> I DID install Quicktime and error went away but again, Quicktime on Windows
> is now depreciated so in the future....?

if you don't install QuickTime (in the past, present or future), then
filmQT will not be able to initialize QuickTime and hence will not be
able to use QuickTime to decode videos.
and you will continue to see this error message until you uninstall
Gem's QuickTime backend (filmQT.dll).

> So far everything seems to work OK. I am getting:
>
> "Unable to connect filters -2147220969"

this is the DirectShow backend throwing an error...

> when loading [open ../data/homer.avi} which is the win32 example in
> [pix_film] example..... In spite of this example DOES seem to work fine.

...and since DS cannot open the video file, it is passed to the other
backends and one of them succeeds.

there is a slight problem with homer.avi: it uses a codec that used to
be installed on every W32 machine since the golden ages (w95 or so).
for whatever reasons MS decided to drop the codec (iirc somewhen around
vista), so the file usually cannot be played back with any newer w32
installation.
most likely this is the reason for the "connect filters" error; it seems
that QuickTime (or whatever backend actually opens the file) still has
support for this codec.

maybe i should do a call for a test-video.

>>> I am assuming Gem 0.93.3 is usable with most recent pd 0.47.1 with
>>> Quicktime installed?

it's also usable without QuickTime installed.

gf,rsad
IOhannes