[PD] w32 Deken package issues.

Thomas Mayer thomas at residuum.org
Fri Jul 15 14:10:28 CEST 2016

On 15.07.2016 12:17, IOhannes m zmölnig wrote:
> On 07/14/2016 08:17 PM, Thomas Mayer wrote:
>> - I compile these dependencies (and their dependencies) in the
>> resulting dlls, because there is no user-friendly way to tell
>> users to download the dlls.
>
> hmm. i'm not sure i can follow here. i guess you meant "I link
> these dependencies statically into the resulting dlls" when you
> wrote "I compile these dependencies into the resulting dlls", as
> there is no way to "compile" two binaries together. however, the
> really unclear thing is whether you actually meant static linking
> (or not).

Yes, I meant staic linking.

> also, what is wrong with just putting the dependency dlls *besides*
> the external (as has been suggested).

There was a bug in earlier versions of Pd (up to 0.43 I think), that
Pd did not look in the same folder for a dependency. Before that, I
had a shared library, but have removed it. But that can now safely be
reverted, as I make new packages available from deken, and deken is
bundled with Pd 0.47.

>> - I do not know how to do it in Mac OS X, but as far as I can
>> tell from pull requests that I have merged, it is more like on
>> Windows than on Linux.
>
> i don't know about your pull requests, but OSX uses the unix way
> to resolve dependencies (just like linux): the resulting binary
> (your external) has a notion of where to look for a given
> dependency, and if that fails it will search the system paths.

The external has two shell scripts for embedding:
https://github.com/residuum/PuRestJson/blob/master/embed-MacOSX-dependencies.sh
https://github.com/residuum/PuRestJson/blob/master/embed-osx-dep-homebrew.sh

I am not sure, if these are needed.

I hope, I could make my thoughts clearer,
Thomas
--
"Chaney was aware that anything, however small, can get the eye of the
media if it's repulsive enough." (Robert Anton Wilson - The Universe