[PD] list devices without starting PD

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Sat Jul 16 14:00:00 CEST 2016

hi, miller, cyrille

first, thanks a lot for your nice help

> I think -batch is not helping here and -stderr is what you where
> looking for.
>
> I don't know how "not to start pd" , but you can close it as soon as
> it start with : -send "pd quit"
>
> on linux, this is doing what you need :
> pd -noprefs -stderr -listdev -send "pd quit" 2> /tmp/pd_listdev.txt

the first part works as expected.

unfortunately (at least here on windows 7) the redirection of stderr
always produces an empty file.
i tried (i think) all possible combinations that should do this, i.e.:

pd -noprefs -stderr -listdev -nogui -send "pd quit" 2>
C:\Temp\pd_listdev.txt
pd -noprefs -stderr -listdev -nogui -send "pd quit"
 >C:\Temp\pd_listdev.txt 2>&1

result:
the console is empty, pd quits, and "C:\Temp\pd_listdev.txt" is created,
but empty

what also seems strange to me, is that no matter if i add the -stderr
flag or not, the devices are listed in the console, so:

pd -noprefs -stderr -listdev -nogui -send "pd quit"
pd -noprefs -listdev -nogui -send "pd quit"

both give the same results

can anybody help ?

best

oliver