[PD] puredata preferences ? ...

oliver oliver at klingt.org
Mon Jul 18 15:49:27 CEST 2016

hi,

can anybody tell me where PD's preferences are stored on a w32 system ?

"puredata.info" says:

When you hit the Save all settings button, your modification will be
stored to your system. The pdsettings are stored in a platform-dependent
way as key/value-pairs.

On Windows the preferences are stored in the registry. For Pd-vanilla,
they are in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Pd. For Pd-extended, they
are in: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Pd-extended

1.) i searched all over my system for "pdsettings" or the registry for
that specific key ---> nothing found.
but the preferences i did set are actually loading alright when i start
PD.

2.) is there a specific reason why those settings are stored in the
registry and not i.e. in a simple textfile somewhere in the PD folder
system ? i think this would be a much better and more flexible way, as
in my case, i run PD from a specific folder on an external harddisk
without any install procedure (to make it a "portable application")

thanks

oliver