[PD] Deken and Dependencies

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jul 19 21:04:58 CEST 2016

On 07/19/2016 08:51 PM, Lucas Cordiviola wrote:
>     />deken has a plugin-system to add additional sources for externals.
>     the/
>     />only one that i know of is for "apt", which allows you to
>     search/install/
>     />the Debian/Ubuntu/... packages./
>

> Lets put aside this option for clarity as I don`t get it. This downloads
> all sources and compiles on target machine? Where does the 3th pty Lib goes?

no it uses the package manager to install the libraries and all
dependencies.

> Lets focus on this as is more useful for normal users:
>
>     />and of course, you can still install "normal deken packages"
>     (pre-built/
>     />binaries from puredata.info)./
>

> I think that NOT SHIPING 3th pty Libs contradicts *your* very good idea
> that a Deken pkg must be “self operational”.
> Someone wants to distribute a patch and includes the external and the
> 3th pty Lib, the patch simply opens and works, thats all.
>
> he/she has simply got those files from the Deken pkg.
>
> Why NOT shiping 3th pty libs on Linux?

note: i'm *not totally* (though kind of strongly) opposed to shipping
3rd party libs on linux.
my point is mainly, that in the linux ecosystem this is not the
"standard" way (unlike on osx and w32).
virtually all linux distros make it very easy to install virtually any
library from trusted sources:
 # apt-get install libfoo
(this is very unlike on e.g. w32, where people do a quick google search
for pthreadGC2.dll and blindly download it from megaupload or the like).

afaict, there is only a handful of externals that actually do require
3rd party libraries on linux, and afaik all of them are pretty well
supported by the various distro package.

gfmsa
IOhannes