[PD] Machine learning and sound ?

James Bullock Jamie.Bullock at bcu.ac.uk
Thu Jul 21 15:18:59 CEST 2016

Hi all,

To answer the OP’s question: yes it is possible to “do machine learning with sound” and yes you can use ml.lib and Pd for that.

I would suggest using the upstream version of ml.lib, the version on the Cycling74 GitHub is a fork. Here’s the upstream: https://github.com/cmuartfab/ml-lib

One of the problems with ml.lib is the documentation is very poor, we are addressing this, and soon there will be a full set of help files and possibly some examples. For now, sending an object the “help” message, you might be able to figure things out. Reading our NIME paper may also help: https://nime2015.lsu.edu/proceedings/201/0201-paper.pdf

Machine learning is a very broad field, and in terms of “where to start” you might want to look at classification problems such as “out of a set of N known classes of sound, which one most closely matches sound X”. This is a well-studied problem, and you might want to start with a paper like this one: http://www.music.mcgill.ca/~ich/research/icmc00/icmc00.timbre.pdf

It would be a useful exercise to replicate the Fujinaga MacMillan experiment (which did in fact originally use Pd) using ml.knn, or indeed their original knn external, which is still available in the Pd svn.

Good luck!

Jamie